Tuesday, June 25, 2013

8. Sunshine

By Robin McKinley


I think I came across this book when I was in Vancouver.  As always, Olman was on the hunt for books and we were browsing in the used section of Pulp Fiction Books on Main St.   

I had read a few Robin McKinleys when I was a teenager, the three I remember most being The Hero & the Crown, The Blue Sword, and Beauty, her retelling of the well-known fairy tale.  

So when I saw that Sunshine was quite recently published (in 2004), a contemporary fantasy about a young baker who gets kidnapped by a gang of vampires, and it was a used copy in great condition, I couldn’t resist passing up on it.

Sunshine made for a light, charming read, but it was not particularly memorable nor very exciting, especially if compared to her early work.  Perhaps it was due to me being a teenager that made McKinley’s early books so captivating and full of adventure and magic.   

I remember feeling somewhat disappointed in Sunshine for its lack of depth and originality, since I was hoping McKinley would give the tiresome girl + vampire relationship genre her own unique vision, like she did with her retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

One thing I did appreciate was how the protagonist, Rae "Sunshine" Seddon, ends up being close allies with Constantine the Vampire, instead of she & him going all Twilight goo-goo ga-ga.   So that was one small ray of sunshine. That, and it was a waaay more pleasant read than my last book. But since I don’t see my copy of Sunshine next to The Blue Sword in my forever shelf, it was not enough to make this worth keeping.

Now I want to seek out a copy of The Hero and the Crown for a revisit!

No comments: