Wednesday, July 15, 2020

10. Robopocalypse

By Daniel H. Wilson

Exactly one week ago, I accidentally dropped my 2013 macbook pro and damaged the screen.  After quickly researching the refurbished section, I promptly ordered a replacement.  Ugh.  One whole week to arrive chez moi.   My old macbook pro was my streaming content delivery mechanism during the evening!  I could stream my entertainment downstairs, but it wouldn’t be the same.  

What was I doing to do???   

I decided to read.  

Robopocalypse was acquired recently when SW Welch reopened and I was able to finally trade in a small pile of books.  It made for perfect summer reading for the one week I needed.  I had one remaining chapter on night of July 14.  My new macbook arrived the next day.  I knew I would have to order a USB-C to USB adapter but somehow I had to see that this new macbook really did not have any USB 3 ports at all.  Although I couldn’t transfer my data from my external drive, I could go back to jellifying my brain with streaming media again! 

It has probably been said already, but I haven’t read reviews - Robopocalypse was basically World War Z with robots instead of zombies with some Skynet thrown in.  Although it was not as gripping nor as well-written as WWZ, it was definitely entertaining as a popcorn techno-thriller.  It was sometimes a bit juvenile like Sleeping Giants, but not as cringey. 


No comments: