Thursday, September 08, 2011

Book 28 – The Hound of the Baskervilles

By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I’ve always wanted to read a Sherlock Holmes book, and when I found this nice old Penguin copy at the thrift shop, I wasted no time.  Though I knew I've never read anything by Sir AC Doyle, the way the narrative unfolded in The Hound of the Baskervilles seemed so comforting and familiar, it felt like I already had. Not surprising since THoB is fairly well entrenched in popular culture. I think I must have watched at least one adaptation on TV when I was growing up. And since THotB is so well-known, I’m not sure what I can offer that has not already been said.

Reading The Hound of the Baskervilles was such a treat it left me wondering why I hadn’t read any of these books sooner.  I can totally see why Olman's such a big fan. Not only was the depiction of the friendship between Watson and Holmes a pleasure to read, but I also loved the way Doyle described the surrounding area of Baskerville Hall, especially the Dartmoor bogs. Characters were either creeping about the mansion, going for walksies along the moors, or chasing each other in the dark of night.  As a reader, you always had a good sense of geography and place. And the manner in which all these strange events unfolded elicited all these creepy Gothic sensibilities, despite the fact that everything got rationally explained by good ol’ Holmes in the end.

Now I have to get my butt in gear and read the other books. This is, after all, the third out of four Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

6 comments:

WeSailFurther said...

I read this way back in 2006 and had a similar reaction: 1. Why hadn't I listened to Olman sooner; and 2. Damn, that's some atmosphere.

My brief review here: http://june23rdproject.blogspot.com/2006/06/9-hound-of-baskervilles-by-ac-doyle.html

OlmanFeelyus said...

Yes, you really hit it right on the reasons why the Sherlock Holmes stories are such a pleasure to read (and why they were so massively popular back in the day). The novels are great, but so are the stories and you can easily read one in a sitting. Great stuff just before bed on a winter night.

We'll have to watch the Hammer Hound one of these days.

WeSailFurther said...

Check this out: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/14472-a-study-in-sherlock

meezly said...

Thanks Redwing, but it's only available in the US!

WeSailFurther said...

shitgoddamn!

try zis one: http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2011/09/21/a-doyle-man/

meezly said...

that was an awesome post. thanks Redwing :-)